History of the Club

Sheffield Rifle Club was founded in 1900 and is affiliated with the National Rifle Association and the Yorkshire Rifle Association.  The club enjoys a healthy rivalry with other Yorkshire Clubs in Leeds and Huddersfield.  Traditionally the club was based at Totley Range on the outskirts of Sheffield. The Territorial Army operated this range, but sadly it was closed to live firing in 1997. Since then Sheffield Rifle Club has continued to use a variety of ranges in the Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire regions. The club now shoots at Thorpe Range with club members from South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.  The main discipline is target rifle shooting in 7.62x51 (.308) with iron sights. There are many scratch and handicap competitions to compete in, with a wonderful collection of silver trophies presented annually at the prize giving dinner.